Wyatt Paul Gillespie, son of Jeremiah Gillespie and Mary E Gillespie, was born on July 15, 1865 in Amherst County, Virginia.
Laura Cecil Donald, daughter of James Calvin Donald and Elizabeth Jane Wallace, was born on February 13, 1877 in Rockbridge County, Virginia.
They were married January 24, 1894 in Rockbridge County, Virginia. How they met is not known, at least to me. Wyatt was 28 and Laura was almost 17 when they married. 1 I suspect the picture below was taken around the time of there wedding.
They had 8 children, all born in Lexington, Virginia:
- Minnie Maude Gillespie (1897 – 1958 )
- Ashby Paul Gillespie (1899 – 1967)
- Eva Dold Gillespie (1901 – 1992)
- Clinton Clifton Gillespie (1904 – 1990)
- Louise Graham Gillespie (1907 – 1997)
- Fred Douglas Gillespie (1910 – 1974)
- Gilbert McClung Gillespie (1914 – 2003)
- Helen Mae Gillespie (1918 – 2002)
They purchased the land at 108 Houston Street, Lexington, Virginia in 1907 and built the house on it in 1908. The house was owned by someone in the family until Gilbert’s death in 2003. The house was sold and moved. The land is now occupied by medical offices. 2
Wyatt died on July 15, 1941 at the age of 75. Laura lived for another 23 years and died at the age of 87 on August 23, 1964. They are both buried in Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery in Lexington Virginia. Minnie, Eva, Fred and Gilbert are buried there as well. 3