- Library of Virginia
- Virginia Genealogy Society
- Historical Society
- Documenting the American South
- Virginia Gen Web
- Ancestry Wiki: Virginia Family History Research
- Family Search Wiki: Virginia, United States Genealogy
- Cyndi’s List: Virginia
- Virginia Highway Markers (VA Department of Historic Resources); MarkerHistory
- Virginia State Research Guide (from Ancestry) (All the other state guides)
- Demographics of Virginia
- Encyclopedia Virginia
- Virginia Chancery Records
- Virginia Research from Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources
- Tucker, St. George. Blackstone’s Commentaries: With Notes of Reference to the Constitution and Laws, of the Federal Government of the United States; and of the Commonwealth of Virginia. 4 vols. 1803. Reprint, Union, N.J.: The Lawbook Exchange, 1996. Available online. Tucker was a judge of the General Court and a professor at William and Mary
- Project Gutenberg’s From Bull Run to Appomattox, by Luther W. Hopkins
- Bailey, Kent P, and Ransom B. True. A Guide to Seventeenth-Century Virginia Court Handwriting. Richmond, Va. (2705 Park Ave., Richmond 23220: Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, 1980. Print.
- Byrd, Kimberly B, and Debra J. Williams. Smyth County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2005. Print.
Dennis, Earl S, and Jane E. Smoth. Marriage Bonds of Bedford County, Virginia, 1755-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1989. Print.
- Doddridge, Joseph, Narcissa Doddridge, John S. Ritenour, and William T. Lindsey. Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars: Of the Western Parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783 Inclusive : Together with a Review, of the State of Society and Manners of the First Settlers of the Western Country. Parsons, W. Va: McClain Print. Co, 1960. Print.
- Driver, Robert J. 14th Virginia Cavalry. Lynchburg, Va: H.E. Howard, 1988. Print.
- Eldridge, Carrie. On the Frontier of Virginia & North Carolina: A Gazetteer of the First “old West”. Chesapeake, OH: C. Eldridge, 1999. Print.
- Grundset, Eric. Research in Virginia. Arlington, VA: National Genealogical Society, 2007. Print.
Harrison, Fairfax. Virginia Land Grants. New York: Arno Press, 1979. Print.
- McGinnis, Carol. Virginia Genealogy: Sources & Resources. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1993. Print.
- Nixon, Florence M. F. In the Shadow of Tobacco Row Mountain: Elon, Monroe, and Other Villages. , 2010. Print.
- Nuckolls, B F. Pioneer Settlers of Grayson County, Virginia. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1975. Print.
- Pawlett, Nathaniel M. A Brief History of Roads in Virginia 1607-1840. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 2011. Print.
- Randolph, Mary. The Virginia Housewife, Or, Methodical Cook: A Facsimile of an Authentic Early American Cookbook. New York: Dover Publications, 1993. Print.
- Schweitzer, George K. Virginia Genealogical Research. Knoxville, TN (7914 Gleason, c-1136, Knoxville 37919: G.K. Schweitzer, 1982. Print.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of the Confederate Armies. New York: Facts on File, 1992. Print.
- Sweeny, William M. Marriage Bonds and Other Marriage Records of Amherst County, Virginia, 1763-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1973. Print.
- Young, Chester R, and Wesley E. Pippenger. The Effects of the French and Indian War on Civilian Life in the Frontier Counties of Virginia, 1754-1763. Richmond, VA: Virginia Genealogical Society, 2009. Print.
Pingback: Creating a State Research Guide: The Basics – cluster genealogy
Anne – I love this! Brilliantly arranged resources. So glad you are a southern gal – I will appreciate referencing your other state compilations. Thanks for sharing. I won’t be at RT this year – good luck on your class! Jolene Passey